Brain

Brain

Monday 21 September 2015

Why are there so many 'New ' diseases'?

I am confused! I am a fairly intelligent person who understands people and what makes them tick. I understand how diseases spread. I am fairly aware of the modern diseases that were never heard of in my childhood. I even understand the diseases of the old and how we are much more aware of them. In my day there were whispered comments about an elderly relative 'Going a bit funny' My own grandmother assured me in the 70's that we had to get under the stairs because the German Bombers were coming. She died of cancer but was obviously suffering dementia too. My own mother is now providing first hand evidence of what dementia sufferers go through. Yet I would say that, for whatever reason, she gave up on life and that this was the root cause of her problems. The doctors have now diagnosed dementia but I am sure that it began with this lack of will to carry on with a life she found burdensome. It is known that psychological issues can cause physical problems.

But what of the debate over ADHD. Some swear it is a recognised disease, others that it is an excuse for a lack of discipline from ineffectual parents who wish to drug their children throughout their childhood. I think there is a case for both views but I also believe it is a psychological phenomenon. So much is expected of children now. Parents want one thing for them, teachers want them to pass exams in order to achieve figures imposed on them by the Government. Personal communications are over the internet. Many parents will not let them out to play, which was where children learned personal skills. Every child is a little prince or princess who can do no wrong until the bad behaviour begins.

It also has to be said that many children are bought up predominantly by a single woman which will inevitably mean a lack of an effectual male role model and that the woman concerned often  belittle and ridicule the only male example they have. I am speaking from experience here as many of my relatives have gone this route. Even if the child is in a Male/Female/Children home there may be frequent arguments, usually violent or verbally abusive. Again I do speak from experience. How is a child supposed to deal with that.

If Doctors say that ADHD exists I suppose I must bow to their superior knowledge but I know that children need time to be kids. One of my young relatives is a case in point. He is being assessed for ADHD and is violent and abusive in the family home yet we have him regularly and he is perfectly well behaved. It is my belief that he does not see us arguing, he is allowed to do what he wishes within reason but is disciplined if he crosses the line and so he knows what is expected of him, He does get loud and naughty when he is very tired but most children do.

Autism too is something I don't understand, or rather I do not understand how it has suddenly become an epidemic. According to another family member he has been diagnosed as Autistic yet he is perfectly capable of, and indeed does, live a normal life, albeit with depressive episodes. The symptoms he describes could equally have been applied to me in my younger days. I recall a documentary about this condition 10 years ago which showed young children who were incapable of living who were incapable of a normal existence. I do not wish to be an old curmudgeon (Though some say it is a done deal.). But I do feel that many parents see a problem with their child and would rather label it (Dare I mention the word Benefits here?) than change their behaviour before consulting a medical professional.

So why are all these diseases and conditions, unheard of in my youth, so often diagnosed now. Are we trying to label conditions which have always been around? I don't know but it does seem that we should make diagnosis a last resort and try to change the way we relate to and communicate with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment