Brain

Brain

Thursday 10 September 2015

I want to go home...But I am home. It's a mystery.

 
This is not one of the best views in the world.........


But this is. What is the connection?
 
My family is the connection in this case. The top picture is of a town called Sittingbourne and is my home town. Just to ensure that this post is clear, this town and it's surrounding areas have been my hometown since my birth in 1961. I have never lived in London. Previously, My family on my father's side had lived Kent since the first few years of the 1900's


London is 40 miles to the North-West of Sittingbourne. My Great grandfather was the one who moved his family here, but before the move at least 3 generations (Dating back to the 1700's) lived in London. My Grandfather Donald Duncan Rayner was the last of my direct line to be born in London in 1898. So for 150 years or more my family were Londoners.
 
My great grandfather had his reasons to move. His last wife Laura and he had a daughter who was born in 1901 and died in 1902. An educated guess is that she died during an epidemic and it may have decided him to move. His own mother hailed from Kent so he may have planned to move anyway but the death was probably the catalyst.
 
Now it has often been said that I sound like a cockney (Native Londoner.) and many phrases I use hail from London. O.K. I may have picked them up from my father who got them from his, but my father did not sound like a cockney as I remember, so I have no idea why the tone and pitch of my speech sounds like I come from there.
 
The thing which really confuses me is that every time I have visited London I feel so at home. I step out of the train, breathe in the air and I feel as if I belong there. Many small town inhabitants are awed and nervous when they go to the capital city for the first time but I had no such qualms. I seemed to know instinctively where to go and felt that everything I saw was familiar to me, including those places which were not on the tourist circuit. I didn't want to go home afterwards, I felt I was home.
 
I know about race memory, though it doesn't quite fit this situation but I do wonder if there is something in my D.N.A. which fits me for life in London or memories can be passed down the family line. There are more things in Heaven and Earth.......
 
Certain things in my life are changing and those changes may enable me, in the future, to move to the outskirts of London. Just somewhere with a Tube station so the rest of the city is accessible to me at any time. I know as I sit here and type that it would be like going back where I belong. Sittingbourne is a pleasant town and I do feel affection for it but London's calling and if I get the chance I will go home.


Waterloo Sunset-The Kinks .

Dirty old river, must you keep rolling, rolling into the night
People so busy, make me feel dizzy, taxi light shines so bright
But I don't, need no friends
As long as I gaze on Waterloo Sunset, I am in paradise
Every day I look at the world from my window
Chilly chilly is the evening time, Waterloo sunset's fine

Terry meets Julie, Waterloo Station, every Friday night
But I am so lazy, don't want to wander, I stay at home at night
But I don't, feel afraid
As long as I gaze on Waterloo Sunset, I am in paradise
Every day I look at the world from my window
Chilly chilly is the evening time, Waterloo sunset's fine.

Millions of people swarming like flies 'round Waterloo underground
Terry and Julie cross over the river where they feel safe and sound
And they don't, need no friends
As long as they gaze on Waterloo Sunset, they are in paradise
 


No comments:

Post a Comment