Brain

Brain

Wednesday 7 October 2015

Why is theft still a problem-the technology of today should deter criminals?

I was messing about with my new phone today when I noticed that one of the preloaded apps was actually useful (As opposed to the usual bloatware which the developer has paid the provider to include. It all takes up space on your phone and is 90% useless.).

The App in question is a bog standard antivirus. It does the job but also prompted me to set up a password for tracking. I have never done this before but I thought what the hell. When I logged on to my PC today I went to the site thinking it was a cheap and cheerful map with a large area circled showing approximately where the phone was. To my surprise the indicator of the phone's location was right where it should be. I could even change the map to a satellite image of the location and see my house. I often lean out of my window backwards and wave in case a satellite happens to take my picture but it's never happened yet.

This set me thinking. Of course I could find the phone using this, if it was stolen. Any mobile is capable of this using it's inbuilt GPS and the software is included. Tablets and many laptops are capable too. These devices are readily available for Vehicles, Handbags Children, Pets and so on.  You just need some software to track the GPS devices. One system actually lets you log on to your stolen Laptop from another computer and take pictures of the thief.

 I recently saw a news item about a lad who volunteered to have a GPS tracker fitted on release from prison then burgled several houses not knowing how accurate they are. He was soon behind bars again.

Home burglaries can easily be prevented with a simple alarm and camera system. they needn't be diabolically expensive. One company is now selling an App to make a discarded mobile into a home camera capable of transmitting images to your phone, tablet or PC. Even a simple thing like upgrading your locks helps.

As regards street crime, we all know that Shops, Businesses, Car parks, Public Buildings and most major streets have  monitored CCTV. My wife's company monitors it's staff and outside it's premises all the time. Surely criminals know that the chances of being spotted at or near the crime are very good.

Smart water is a way of identifying your stolen devices if recovered or in a system where criminals are covered in it if committing a crime where it is used. It can only be seen in ultraviolet light but lasts for months.

There is a paint you can buy which looks normal on drainpipes or roofs. If it is disturbed by someone climbing on it the surface breaks and makes it very slippery. It also transfers onto the criminal aiding identification.

 

But crime is still with us-Why?

I think that it is the old Chestnut-'It'll never happen to me.' All the deterrents rely on you spending time setting them up, or money buying the systems and items mentioned. Many haven't got the money or don't feel they need to spend it on something that may never happen. That said, many councils offer smart water free or can offer security advice.

As for street crimes and CCTV, criminals by their nature are arrogant enough to believe they won't get caught  but with modern technology it will become much more difficult to avoid arrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment